We're secular eclectic, which basically translates to reading whatever we feel like--mostly from library books rather than any set curriculum. We started out much more school-at-home-y than we are now. Now we're bordering on unschooling, though the choices I let him make are within certain boundaries and must be of the academic variety. (i.e., he's not out playing in the yard all day!) We have a school time, and during that time, he's expected to do some math, some fiction reading, some non-fiction reading, some writing...but what he chooses in those broad areas is pretty much up to him. I make sure he has plenty of options that are acceptable to me and intersting to him. That has worked pretty well for us.

FWIW, I often find that methods and curricula that sound good don't really work with an HG+ child. These kids often break the mold of even homeschooling methods, which are typically more flexible than bricks-and-mortar schools (though not always, depending upon the method of homeschooling and the B&M school in question...).

And that's not even discussing the money you'd have to spend as the kids race through the curricula that you buy! eek

I find that the mostly-library method gives us maximum flexibility for a minimal cost. Our library even has an "educator's card" that HSers qualify for. It allows me to check out books for 3 months without ever renewing, and anything late has no fine! It ROCKS! smile

I use E.D. Hisrch's "What Your Xth Grader Needs to Know" series and other such resources to make sure that we're not missing anything important.

I usually take a couple of weeks before spring testing to cover anything that someone in his grade is expected to know that we didn't yet hit on. So far, it hasn't taken us more than a couple of lazy weeks to fill in those minor gaps. If it's a subject he's not really interested in, I just cover it with him in the form of an at-grade-level book and discussion. I figure that's what he'd get if he were in a traditional school, so I see no reason to club him over the head with anything that he's not into. It seems to work pretty well.

YMMV, of course, but that's what suits us. And I agree that Lisa Rivero's book is a must-read! (And not just for homeschoolers!) It's fabulous!

So much about how you approach homeschooling is about personality--yours and your child's. As everyone has said, you almost certainly have to adapt as you go along because it's a learning experience. But there's no wrong way as long as what you're doing is working for you and your child.

smile

Kriston