Oh! XoXoMom!
It's so normal to not want to hurry them out of the house! But you really don't have to have him graduate high school sooner or go off to college sooner - particularly if he isn't ready. Look for 'Gap Year' programs. Of course, if you haven't yet parented teenagers, you may not realize that when they get smelly and hairy and start looming over you leaving the nest suddenly starts looking more appealing I ever imagined it could. Ok kidding aside, my guess is that when he's ready, the part of you that loves unselfishly will be ready too. As for the other part of you - oh well - since when was parenting about gratifying that?

DS12 (8th grade big shot) wanted me to point out that 'if he finds a person that's worth being with, then an age difference of 6 months to a year won't make a difference.'

And of course, once kids get to high school, I believe that it is customary for boys to date girls from younger grades.

Weirdly enough, many of our kids are 'just' ahead academically. they are ahead in other needs also, perhaps also need for independence.

I'm not saying to disregard the social side of life, just that skipping may be the best way for 'all' of your son to blossom.

Smiles,
Grins

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com