We seem to have similar ideas, Minnie. One of the reasons we chose DD4's preschool is because it does not allow commercial characters in the classroom or on the playground. That means that the kids are not allowed to wear clothes or bring lunchboxes, backpacks, etc. with commercial images on them, and the schools' toys, playground equipment, etc. are generic and often wooden, which avoids a lot of cheap plastic stuff all around.

We have been able to limit DD's exposure to commercial images pretty well and have been trying to educate family members on this as well as materialism in general. For the past few years, the adults on both sides of the family have been making holiday donations to charities in the names of family members in lieu giving gifts. We have also tried to set a limit on how much DD gets from grandparents and other relatives during the holidays and for her birthday. This year, we had a "giftless" birthday party for DD, and she didn't miss the presents at all. All the kids brought handmade cards, and she loved them. We just wanted to focus on having a good time and sharing in the celebration, not on getting more "stuff," KWIM?

My friends and I typically make things for each other. I make jewelry, so I'm in the process of beading earrings, bracelets and necklaces for the holidays. I also bake bread and make jam for our close neighbors.

Thanks for sharing your boys' joint letter to Santa--priceless! What great parents you are! smile