Originally Posted by floridamom
The question she asked me the other day, "Why do you want to have him tested?"

Also, the teached did mention that it is alot of work for her once we decide to go ahead with testing. She said they give her a huge packet & she must spend alot of time observing him & then filling out these forms regarding his behavior, etc. She said it is alot of work & if I knew he was gifted, why did I need a peice of paper?

Allow me to vent a bit, but as a so-called professional in her field, she should know the answer to these questions. That she doesn't is a clue to you that you'll have to find a way to dance around her ignorance and educate her about her own field in a way that doesn't make her feel ignorant.

Sorry, but I can't imagine a special ed. teacher saying something this rude about a kid with an IQ of 65. Americans are getting good at discriminating against intelligent people. <end of rant>

I guess I recommend that you explain that the piece of paper isn't the point. Your son learns faster than most other students and he may not be challenged at his current level. Sustained lack of challenge can lead to poor study skills and students who later shut down/don't try when they finally take classes that aren't easy for them and they don't "get" something immediately. This can lead to underachievement.

The ease of early learning can lead to a mistaken belief that everything should come easily. This can be problematic when a student hits a subject that requires focused thought when something is not immediately understandable and sustained practice --- two vital skills that aren't learned when everything comes easily. I believe that students in this situation can decide that the subject is just too hard or "I'm not as good at it/smart as those other kids who do better than I do." These kids just don't have a concept of having to go and really *study* and think hard and not get it for a while.

Private schools depend on tuition payments to keep their doors open, and this is probably a factor in making them more receptive to the needs of bright kids. Good luck, and you have my sympathies.

Val