Well I say trust your mom instinct. I don't always trust mine, but I'm learning. DD6 kept telling people at school, I can't do that. Well I was getting mad cause I saw how smart she was and I thought she was just taking advantage of her cuteness factor to get out of stuff she didn't want to do.

I was always gentle with her but I did ask her not to tell the school she couldn't do something that we both knew she could and inside I WAS frustrated.

Now it all makes sense after seeing the Dr. for developmental optometry. We find out she needs glasses, is farsighted and was doing that convergence thing you and Doodlebug mentioned. Plus she does have a visual discrepency. In fact in two areas she is in the .2%. That's right, I put a period in front of that 2! OUCH!

Super bright kids are SUCH HIGH COMPENSATORS, it's SO easy to miss stuff. Realistically, the kid shouldn't have been able to read much at all! And she was reading well, she just didn't like to(Wow, I wouldn't have either!) So from now on if something doesn't smell right, I'm probably going to check it out. I don't see the harm.
And the good news is the prognosis is great with the visual therapy.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to check in with teacher and make sure you know the real deal.