Yes, we expected him to be gifted based on our family history on both sides. We had a hunch from the delivery room when the nurses commented on how he was responding right after birth. We were certain by about 4 months, my wife was certain earlier than that.

I don't think it influenced our decisions very much early on. We were always going to parent the child we had, not the child that people were going to tell us we had. We were fortunate that we had the flexibility to do this - my wife worked 3 days a week so we used a nanny for the other 3. DS never had to move at anyone else's pace for the 1st 18 months.

It did influence our decisions later on. By the time he was 2, we had moved to a daycare 3x a week for exposure to more kids. Shortly thereafter, the daycare was having him help teach the other 2 year olds so he wouldn't be bored. We took him out again within a few months.

That's when we started looking at gifted education options more aggressively. We had him tested at 3.5y.o. just so we'd have some external validation when we started shopping pre-k options because we didn't have any teacher experiences for reference.

Last edited by philly103; 08/29/18 06:26 AM.