Probably not useful: My adolescent offers the viewpoint that parents should engage in lengthy, thoughtful discussions with their children about the reasons for household tasks, ranging from the immediate (hygiene) to the long-term (environment). I said, "What if the child answers that it won't matter if the environment is destroyed; I'll be dead and gone?" DC's reply: Praise the child for being smart. Not helpful, DC#1, not helpful!

But seriously, we don't give allowances, pay for chores, or assign routine chores. Among our family values is the idea that everyone helps to the extent that they are capable, both on request, and simply when one sees a need, because we are a team. We have joint responsibilities to care for the people, planet, objects, and time entrusted to us, which are operationalized variously, depending on the skills and capacity of the individual.

On a practical level, if you participated in, or benefited from, the use of something, then you become equally responsible for its care (including cleanup). (Though, again, what care/cleanup looks like depends on your current skill set, and may be heavily scaffolded by a more skilled member of the family. The point isn't perfect accuracy; it's ownership.) If there is a pattern of not taking responsibility for such, then you lose the privilege of making use of it (beyond basic necessities).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...