We cannot predict the future our children will live in. My parents tried and it backfired.

They insisted that I was absolutely not allowed to take Japanese because they decided it would not be useful to me. I could only take French, Italian or Spanish. Guess what, not being able to read Japanese cost me a $400/hour gig and a lucrative book publishing opportunity. Thanks Mom and Dad.

They demanded I not go to dog training and dog grooming school, they were sure it was a financial mistake, that people don't work. Serendipitously, I ended up being a dog trainer and then later a dog groomer. It's a respectably-paying job which is in high demand.

The one language they insisted I couldn't use is the only one I needed. The only job they decided was not a good choice became my career.

We don't know how our kids will grow up, we can't plan for the economy and job environments that may work in.

With that perspective, I think the most important subjects and activities are those which promote wellbeing.

My son is 9, so I can't predict the long term outcome. For now, I've seen the most benefits from meditation, minimalism, comparative religion-history-philosophy, and music lessons.