For my kids, who are naturally curious and always in search of learning, it was a matter of exposing them to opportunities and letting them select what they were interested in.

Staying active and being musically active were my only real goals. They both played multiple sports, multiple instruments, and I let them figure our when they wanted to winnow it down to what they really wanted to continue

We were fortunate to have a gifted education program at a local college, so weekend and summer weeks were always high on their radar to learn outside the standard advance curriculum.

If you go through the testing process, programs like Johns Hopkins CTY/SET, Duke's TIP, Davidson Young Scholars, etc., have specific services to provide advice, counseling, and identify opportunities that aren't always widely known.

Best returns? Music/instruments. Travel to expose them to global cultures. Breadth rather than acceleration (beyond 1 year) - Google The Calculus Trap for the general thinking. In addition to Game Theory, my DD13 is taking a course in Existentialism this summer (hopefully). Last year it was Java and Ethics.

Last edited by Cranberry; 02/01/17 06:27 PM.