Originally Posted by funtimes
Hi all,

One of my twins ( with DYS qualifying score) has not had a great time socially (or academically) at school. I always thought this was because few are interested in what he has to say.. For example- they were asked to write a non fiction story to read to a Kindergarten class and he wrote 3 pages on JAVA programming.

To help with interactions at school he has been pulled out into a socials skills group once a week with my consent.

The social worker who runs the group called me just to touch base but mentioned that when the kids ask him a question he looks at her to answer. I felt like she kept emphasizing poor eye contact which worries me. At home I don't notice it at all.

The EdPsych who tested said No to Aspergers but now I feel the school is sort of hinting that way???
The school can be hinting that way but the social worker is probably not a train psychologist. Your child probably does behave differently at school than at home. This social worker is probably looking for things that they think could categorizes your child. And my experience is the like to try and categorize children who don't meet the norm as having either ADHD or ASP. They may have very little experience with an extremely gifted child.

I have had this issue with my DS16. When DS was struggling with anxiety and preteen angst he wouldn't look at people in the eye. Mostly he wouldn't look at older adults than ones he really really trusted. I kept getting the hints from school about ASD but every psychologist who's worked with him has said no. He even tried to do his 6th grade science project to show that you can hear just as well if you aren't looking at someone. (This turned out very hard to test.)

Several psychologists have told me DS isn't ASD although he does share some traits. Now that he's older this isn't a big problem anymore. It wasn't a problem as a preschooler either.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/09/16 01:35 PM.