mnmom23,

Are you comfortable with the math? If so, I'd spend some time reviewing her homework with her, which would give you an opportunity to tease out whether or not it's truly just EF issues as she completes long problems, or if it's an issue with not fully understanding concepts. I wouldn't 100% rely on her telling you she understands it - watch over her work and see if she really does.

Originally Posted by mnmom23
She was in Algebra 2 and all of a sudden got a C in math both semesters. Now we've got her medical condition and medication under control and she is in Pre-calc and is again having trouble.

It's possible she might not have gained a thorough understanding of her studies in Algebra II last year. If there's any chance that's tripping her up, I'd consider reviewing it, or even (I know this is going to sound completely radical here).. repeating it. The repeat doesn't have to be through school, but if she's interested in studying the sciences and/or math further, she'll need to have the concepts down and solid. It doesn't mean she isn't insanely bright, just means she had a rough atypical year last year.

"She seems to understand setting up the problems and gets the concepts but is somehow messing up too many calculations toward the end of problems. It's her test grades that are terrible."

Is her homework ok? Does she get to the end of long problems without issues? Is she truly setting up the problems ok? If all of those answers are yes, and the trouble is isolated to tests, then work with her on test-taking strategies, including not just checking your work, but talk her through what happens when she takes tests. Does she feel rushed, is she having difficulty getting everything done within the time given for the test? Is she anxious? Is the room noisy? etc. If she's having the same issues with homework, see if there are commonalities in the things that she messes up on, or if it's random.

I'd also review the situation with the teacher and class - is it possible she's had two years of teachers who weren't the best at communicating concepts or inspiring students? Note: I'm not mentioning that to be cold-hearted toward teachers - I love and respect and think the world of teachers smile - just mentioned it because I've seen that it's tough for *my* kids to stay focused in class when concepts in math are explained in a dry, not-so-interesting approach. One of my teens has no trouble with this, but he's a math whiz. My dd, otoh, who is *trslly good* at math and is accelerated in math, but it isn't her strength or passion, flounders when the teaching method doesn't keep her engaged.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 11/18/15 06:37 AM.