Originally Posted by blackcat
It sounds like he doesn't understand what's expected for some of the assignments so I would ask if they can have a short one-on-one before he gets started to make sure he understands, and see if he has a plan for what he's going to do. Then check back with him as he's working to encourage/assist as needed.

ITA. In fact, that's not an unusual approach in kindergarten for a lot of kids smile

FWIW, getting called in as a parent for what you describe above, during the first week of kindergarten... seems... well, surprising. OTOH, and please don't extrapolate that this means I think something's up that you need to worry about but... the things you describe do sound similar to things we've experienced with our ds who has challenges. In kindergarten, those challenges looked like other things - not joining in, not trying, not understanding the directions, moving slow, etc. I can't speak directly to what you've seen (other than to say my ds is in high school now and seems to have one of those "hopes and dreams" types of assignments in at least one class each year and he *still* doesn't complete it in the way teachers expect), however, I think (and I may be remembering this incorrectly so please forgive me and ignore me if I am :))... but I think I remember your ds having an uneven profile when tested on the WPPSI? If he did, there's an outside chance that what's going on in class may be related to whatever caused that uneven profile in testing, and it may be something you want to pay attention to. So if it was me, I'd keep a journal of what difficulties are occurring in classwork, details about when they happen etc, and just watch to see if a pattern emerges. As the parent of a child who *does* have a challenge that's one thing I wish I had done - my ds had uneven scores on his first IQ testing that was done at 5 for entry into a gifted program as well as behavioral clues in his K-2 classrooms, but teachers and even myself and my dh thought it was all related to personality/etc simply because he was so obviously intelligent when he talked to us. The result of that lack of realizing and paying attention to the clues was he wasn't diagnosed until late 2nd grade, and by the time he was diagnosed his anxiety over school was sky-high due to struggling with a disability that he didn't understand.

Hope that makes sense, I only mention it because I think you had mentioned an issue with discrepancy in test scores earlier - and that might be simply related to age at testing, but it might also be a red flag that somethings up. If you see red flags in the classroom too, the two pieces of evidence taken together might be meaningful.

Best wishes,

polarbear