Originally Posted by PanzerAzelSaturn
I say, what's the difference between 1 and 2. "One is straight and 2 has curves." I explain that what's the difference means to subtract and see how many numbers are between them. I say what's the difference between 2 and 12. "Two is a one digit number and 12 is a two digit number."

This funny (frustrating) story has been stuck in my head since I read it. I was reminded of it again today when I was talking to a friend who works at Google. We were talking about the infamous Google interview questions. Perhaps you guys have all seen this one - since it pops up on-line. But I thought it was interesting:

What is the next number in this sequence: 1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221, 312211, etc.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to find a mathematical solution to this. I'll give a hint below and come back later with the solution. You'll see that it requires divergent thinking.

But my point to PAZ and the rest of us - there are places that would put incredible value on the types of answers PAZ's DS gave above.

FYI - apparently they don't use this interview question anymore because it's been too widely circulated.

Hint coming....

---

Stop reading if you don't want to see the hint ....

----

Last chance to stop reading ....

------

Here it is:

Read the digits out loud.

I think your kids sounds cool PAZ,
Sue