Originally Posted by Tigerle
Sounds like there might be a lot of stealth dyslexia or otherwise compensated LDs which make a 2e kid look average/lazy/smartbutscattered...
That's my thinking, too. The worst part (to me) is that not succeeding in this program might cause a child to question their intelligence instead of realizing there are specific skill deficits needing support.

My DS began the 6th grade year horrified when I told him he was likely to be somewhat "average" in the program but quickly adjusted his expectations downward as his failure to assimilate progressed. I can't decide whether that is good or bad.

When I told him he is on academic probation next year, his response was: "Well, I'll just have to work REALLY hard." In a way, I'm glad this is his response; however, I don't think he even understands what he means by it (since it's school-speak, really). I think he was working pretty hard last year just keeping himself together. At least now we have a better idea exactly what he needs to "work hard" toward.

Last edited by eco21268; 07/17/15 07:01 AM.