I don't post here at all usually, but I did want to let you know my experience. My daughter was reading before age 2 and seems to acquire language skills at an unbelievable rate. We sort of ignored her abilities until she was coming up on the beginning of preschool. We alerted her preschool teacher to her abilities and she was stunned. Our daughter was tested using DRA and measured 2nd grade reading level at age 4, 5th grade at the beginning of K and just ended first grade with an NWEA MAP score that puts her at average instructional level for the end of 11th grade.

All of this to say, every teacher we have ever encountered has been absolutely incredulous when it comes to her abilities and has insisted that she must have "gaps" in her reading comprehension. This has never been the case. We relocated after K and her teachers absolutely refused to accept that she was reading well above her grade level. Even after she demonstrated her abilities on the fall 2-5 MAP test, they still refused to differentiate for her. We moved her to a small, upstart charter school where she was getting lots of individual attention and thrived this year.

It is a struggle to advocate for a gifted kid in a place with no gifted resources. We're in Michigan and it's the same. You have to be willing to ruffle feathers to get the resources your child will need to be challenged. I wish you the best of luck.

We were finally able to locate a gifted program in a neighboring community that accepts out of district students. She'll be attending next year for second grade. It has been a very long road to get to this point, sadly. Hang in there.