Originally Posted by NotherBen
Well, DS is passing all his sophomore HS classes, so that's something. It was dicey there for awhile this spring. He got a 34...again...on the ACT, AP Chem score doesn't arrive till July. The SAT Chem subject test is next week. The anxiety issue seems intermittent, but he has taken some chances, which is really good. I'm meeting with the social worker next week to talk about this issue (I gave up on the counselor who is retiring this month anyway). We will see if his teachers recommend him for next year's APs, he registered for 3. I need to find out when that happens.
That is what last year was like for DS. The best I could say is he was passing. Sigh.. It's why things are a bit dicey about the AP classes he wants. Not this years grades but last years. Thus the teachers have to 'think' about it rather than it being a slam dunk.

Originally Posted by NotherBen
Over summer he will take US History and, one hopes, do the AP summer assignments. I wish he'd either try out for the community theater summer play, or else get a job. I really think a job would make a big difference in him.
Any likely places for him to get a summer job. My DD20 got a job a few days ago and we are thrilled, it's her first time finding an actual job? At least where I live few employeers want to hire anyone just for the summer and so it's not real easy to find a summer job.

For the summer theater do they need people to do the backstage work? Perhaps he might find that more interesting. Maybe a volunteer job? Animal Shelter or Library?