I haven't read the full set of replies, but fwiw, here's what I would most likely do in hour situation:

1) Save the interaction with the principal for your upcoming discussion about math acceleration.

2) Recognize that it's late in the year, and it's likely that the large amount of homework your dd is getting is likely a function of her teachers - both the regular classroom teacher and the G&T teacher.

3) Consider just dropping some of it if you think it wouldn't cause too much of an issue with the classroom teacher. If you are concerned that it might, talk to the teacher about the amount of time, ask if it's what she expects, and ask if it's ok to drop pieces that are related to knowledge/skills your dd already has. I know this conversation probably will be difficult or frustrating, particularly if the teacher isn't happy about your dd having skipped a grade into the class, but keep that in mind - it's an individual teacher issue, not something worth saving the world over. This year *is* almost over. Next year's teacher may be entirely different re amount of homework and attitude (we've had teachers all over the place with both over the years).

4) Consider talking to the G&T teacher. Point out that the amount of G&T homework she's getting is a lot when added onto regular classroom homework. Ask her what the objective of the G&T homework is - is any of it considered "catch-up" (i.e., fill in gaps created by the skip) or is any of it work needed to subject accelerate her in something next year? If it's just work for the sake of work, drop it. Seriously! We've found that sometimes school staff equate "G&T" with "loves homework" or "needs excessive amounts of homework" - and that's just silly.

5) Keep an open mind and consider that what you've described about your dd's conversations surrounding homework really don't come into play with the expected time the teachers are asking for with respect to homework, and I think for most of our gifted kids, conversations that go into depth or steer off-topic as you've mentioned aren't the types of conversations that our kids get tired out from, they're the things that feed their brains... so I wouldn't count those as "homework" time, just time spent with my child happily contemplating. Try looking at just the actual work time when counting up how much homework time your dd is doing.

Hope some of that helps!

polarbear