Originally Posted by NotherBen
We receive a few university alumni magazines, our own and the kids of the previous residents at this address. They always have a couple of interesting articles on what alums are doing. The mag from a technical/engineering university has some especially interesting articles with work DS never even considered as a career, like the fellow who produces sound effects for video games, and the woman who works with color management in materials. They got us looking at almost anything and asking "who did that, and how?" (Every winter I tell my DS he should figure out the name of the field where he would come up with a decent road material that won't devolve into potholes.) Your high school's college counselor may have some such magazines.

And it's not just what he is interested in, but how he likes to work right now, that can point to his career. I always liked writing reports in school, but finally discovered technical writing halfway through grad school.

But perhaps the best way to figure out a career is to have a job. Not only do you learn about work you do or don't like, but you can also watch the people around you. Is DS working this summer?
We do have some of these magazines. Most come to my DH but I like reading them. Perhaps I should put them in DS eyesight.

Not looking for job this summer. He is probably going to 4 weeks of wilderness camp. We are trying to make a decision on that this week. First session would be training to be a CIT, and second session he would officially be a CIT so I guess it's sort-of a job. Seems a bit strange since he is such a 'shy' child but I hear he is a different kid at camp. After he comes home he won't have long before two weeks of band camp and the start of school. That only leaves a few odd weeks between things where we could visit a college or two but not time for much else.

Did talk to my father and DS and we are probably on for sending DS to the Maker Fair in the Bay Area this spring. Just have to make sure there aren't any conflicts in his schedule and get him a plane ticket while they are still inexpensive. That is just something fun but it should expose him to some interesting stuff.