I'm in Canada and I went to school a long time ago but fwiw at that time it was easier to transfer from Engineering into Science and not lose time/credits while those transferring from Science into Engineering basically started over. I believe this was due to the fact that engineering had very few elective courses (I think I had 3 in 4 years) and so many courses had prerequisites while sciences had more flexibility and people that I knew were able to count the engineering course as an elective for example. Obviously ymmv but it might be something to research if he is still on the fence between those two worlds when it comes time to apply.

Universities up here each run their engineering programs differently. My first 2 years were generic engineering and then 3rd and 4th you picked your specialty (it was changed to 1.5 years after I went through). Other schools have you apply directly to a specific program for first year. Even at those schools much of first year is common so it is often possible to switch specialties (DH did this years ago and a friend's kid just did it last year). Some specialties have more overlap than others though.

Last edited by chay; 02/11/15 01:54 PM.