I don't think that dyslexia and other LDs are things that fit easily into categories such as "mild" and "severe". When I use terms such as mild/severe in reference to my children's LDs it's actually a reference to how their functioning (academic/social/whatever) is impacted by the LD, not a measure of the actual LD.

Did the psych (or whatever professional) who diagnosed your dd give you any advice on remediation and the path forward? That's the first place I'd start - put those recommendations in place, as much as possible. If it's a long list and feels overwhelming, take it one step at a time.

I found that reading and online research helped me get a bit of an understanding of what would probably come in the future and what we'd need to address with respect to the LDs my children have, and I also found that networking with other moms who were local helped me get an idea what I could and shouldn't expect from our school district. I also took advantage of any local workshops etc that came up that were related to either the LDs or how to advocate at school etc.

It's also helpful to reframe how you look at it as not one big problem to solve now, but as being at the starting point on a journey. Dyslexia doesn't go away overnight, and no one can learn how to best accommodate/remediate for any one child overnight. You can start moving forward based on the advice you've received so far and the knowledge you have now - even if it doesn't feel like you have the big picture solved or even if it feels like you really don't understand much of anything about it. Just do some small something, one thing, and get started. And as you start, as you add something new, always observe, watch, and don't be surprised or flustered or caught off guard if something doesn't work as planned. That's probably going to happen no matter what, and it won't mean that what you've done up to that point wasn't the right thing to do, it simply means that you have more information now and you use that info to help you shape how to continue to move forward.

It's a journey.

Last piece of advice - be sure to talk to you dd about what's up, how she feels about things, what works for her, what doesn't work for her etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear