Have you looked around the Davidson database? I did a lot of reading there as I figured out what the best schooling option was for my son and then I focused on how to be the best advocate. Here's a link:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_articles_165.aspx

I was successful advocating for a skip at two different schools (we didn't end up doing the skip the first time) and I think it was because I focused on his achievement scores and asked what he would be able to learn if he stayed in the same grade. In his elementary school, I showed them the IQ testing, as they needed it for the IAS, but it was the achievement data that made them realize they had to do something radically different. So they approved a skip, or outlined some specific ways they would differentiate his curriculum if he stayed. It was our decision after that.

In our latest skip approval in a new school district, the guidance counselor took a look at the scores (I had Explore and MAP scores but didn't include IQ data.) The counselor chatted with my son about his interests and then said he would approve the skip. We walked to the registrar, changed his grade level, said thanks and left!

I have had one negative experience in advocacy, though. It was with the principal at the school my son would have skipped into the first time. She was rabidly anti-skip even though she was at a gifted school. She proudly refused to read "Nation Decieved," or any other article, and said she made her decisions based on observations in the hallways, not research. She wouldn't have been able to stop the skip, but since she was such an idiot, we decided we didn't want our son to go there.

Good luck!