Just thought I'd update you all and get your insights if you have any to offer. So, the school FINALLY tested him specifically for dysgraphia/disorder of written expression (yes, they actually used the word dysgraphia! In the report! More than once even!) They gave him the Bender-Gestalt and he scored in the 12th%ile - below average (this is actually up from last year where he was at the 5th%ile.) They gave him handwriting fluency subtests of Process Assessment of the Learner where mistakes in sequencing were noted and it took him 120 seconds for him to print 26 letters - below average. It took him 129 seconds to copy a 9 word sentence - below average. In paragraph copying, he copied on 11 1/2 word in 3 minutes and missed several words from the first line of the paragraph. Needless to say, his score was below average on this as well. He actually scored above average for the TEWL and on grade level and average for the spelling - shockingly.

Here are just some of his scores for the PAL-2:
Alphabet Automatic Legible Letter Writing: 6
Alphabet Legible Letter Writing: 3
Alphabet Writing Total Time: 7
Sentence Copying Automatic Legible: 4
Sentence Copying Legible: Letter Writing: 1
Sentence Copying Total Time: 6

Is it me or are these scores REALLY low? Aeh? I have more if anyone is curious, I just didn't feel like typing them all out ... but the remainder are the same low one-digit scores.

So, finally, we have report that lays out how abysmal his handwriting is and he has been identified with a specific learning disability of dysgraphia/disorder of written expression. Of course, I am happy to have it identified finally. But there is always that sadness that one's child has a disability. I look at these writing scores and I wonder how this kid will get through life.?I gave him a form to fill out yesterday b/c I was making dinner and didn't fell like scribing for him and just thought this is something he should be able to do. The form was almost illegible. frown And the numbers for his dates still all backwards. I was like, "Ds you do need to be at least functional enough to fill out basic forms." No it was not my finest moment. But it was just one of those times where I was like "wow, he really looks dysfunctional and delayed. He should be able to do this somewhat functionally!"

But, anyway, nice to have detailed report from school pysch as part of DS's IEP identifying dysgraphia, showing specifically where his weakness are in writing and giving recommendations for accommodations, etc.

This same week, we also got a brief report from neurologist that diagnosed him with "neurodevelopmental syndrome which includes motor apraxia, delayed processing speed, and dysgraphia." She said she didn't think ADHD but the motor apraxia and low processing speed can sure cause a kid to share some of the same type of challenges that plagues one with ADHD. So, more 'medical stuff' solidifying the true nature of DS's challenges - a medical diagnosis of dysgraphia and motor apraxia (dyspraxia). She did say his dyspraxia was an odd presentation and she would like to at some point in the future when we are comfortable with it do an MRI - for one reason to make sure he doesn't have mild chiari malformation and also because she thinks there is some mild/slight damage to the cerebellum (I think that is what she said???) Something like he's a bit different because his balance is strong and good but his coordination is weak and that sort of profile is consistent with some sort of mild cerebellum damage/deficit. Finally, the doctor said even though he doesn't have ADHD, 50% of the time ADHD meds help kids like DS (and others with dyspraxia) with the slow processing and motor planning difficulties. She said any time we want, she would give us a script to try them on DS. So ,now I still have this med dilemma! I can't escape it, it seems. I am torn, the adhd meds scare me, especially stimulants, for this kid. At the same time I feel tempted like, 'I could give this kid a pill and his life would be so much easier? Why wouldn't I try that?!' BUT not necessarily, doc said we only have a 50/50 shot. I guess it's nice to know I could have him try it I we want. But, at the same time I am unnerved by this "you know we could put him on a few drugs and see how it goes" attitude. I mean the kid is 8 years old. Aren't these drugs pretty serious for that kind of attitude? I also worry about a drug-dependence on them. On the other hand, his processing is so low and his dysgraphia pretty bad.

Anyway, at least now we have what I have been pursuing - a pretty accurate profile of DS, which is gifted with dysgraphia and mild motor apraxia as well as Ehlers Danlos. It makes me happy and sad. So weird.

In other news, DS is apparently moving two levels in reading. He is thrilled. I am a little freaked. When they said he was staying at DRA Instructional 34, I was annoyed. I thought obviously he has progressed to next level and you guys just don't want him that far ahead. I figured I'd fuss and at the most get them to re-test and he'd move to Instructional level 38. Well, according to DS, it looks like he is moving to instructional level 40 at least. Of course they are testing the heck out of him again with QRI and DRAs. They spend more time testing this kid than teaching him, I swear. So what the heck? If I hadn't said anything they would have left him at 34? DS is thrilled! I am nervous. Is he really getting that far ahead?