Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 131 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #250748 05/26/24 06:03 PM
    Alex011 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi everyone,
    I’m new here. I would love to share my sons story and get help and advice. We are at a very low point now. I’ll try to keep brief, but please bear with me.
    My son is 11. He started speaking short sentences at 1. He was very curious, interested in topics above age and profoundly bored with age-appropriate cartoons and music. Wherever we would go, everyone would note how smart he is. Since his dad is in top 1% judged by Mensa, I was certain that the kid is at least quite bright. He started reading English around five, by himself. English is not our native language nor we live in an English speaking country. At the tests for enrolling primary (this don’t involve actual Iq tests here), I was told he had incredible intellectual potential. However, from day one when he started school, bad things started happening. A good example would be that in a first few weeks he got Fs - one time he drew a picture that had swirls in the background and told me that “he wanted to show Van Gogh’s Stars night in a minimalist manner” but got F because he was supposed to cover the whole background. I saw him witter and lose confidence but foolishly told myself that teacher knows what she is doing, that he might need some discipline etc.

But, his progress was way off from expectations. All the time, the focus was on everything that is “bad” and zero encouragement for things he is good at. He never did his English homework and I couldn’t blame him as the curriculum was way bellow his knowledge. I asked if he is dyslexic since he wasn’t progressing in reading - they just said he should study more. I realized that it doesn’t make any sense since he is reading above level in English. That was first 4 years of his education. Another important thing- he has lazy eye and glasses. I am not sure it is fully corrected and have a check up tomorrow.

Anyhow, since starting 5th grade (you could call it middle school) all hell brakes lose as we started figuring out how far behind from peers he is. He acted out at school and they are eager to prove that there is something “wrong with him”. So, we started testing and we trying to figure out what is going on.

I now realize that since starting school he completely switched to talking English at home, and we went along as we miserably failed to realize how bad things are going for him at school. He took WISC iq test under extreme stress, after sub depression diagnosis and in his native language that actually makes up around 30-40% of his vocabulary. He got 100 - performing above average in non-school related areas and below average in everything school related. It’s sad as I am sure that he is quite informed and has huge vocabulary- but not in the language he was tested in.

I am not sure if the results are valid under these conditions. Or he “lost” his brightness. Or I am mom that saw something that isn’t there. He also got admitted into musical school this year, so I guess that at least in that area he is above average.

I suspect educational trauma. We are undergoing more tests, but I am afraid that this third world country will not do much for him…

I am lost. I still believe that he is exceptional child. Maybe 2e. I hate that I put him through hell with this school and I don’t know if switching schools might help as educational system here is horrible as it is.

Thank you in advance for any words of encouragement and advice. Especially if you’ve been through anything similar and can offer some hope and advice how to make him feel better. I hope he’ll start therapy soon, but I have no idea how to act and how to help him.

I
    I
    Welcome. So glad you found this forum.

You are not alone. Many/most families with gifted children have experiences very similar to what your son has been exposed to and you are describing. Often families continue teaching their gifted offspring a variety of things at home; the child simply requires/demands this, by asking many questions and/or sharing observations which may be incomplete and need further explanation and/or background.

Hopefully an idea or two in this post may be helpful...

Needs
    To flourish, children need appropriate academic challenge, and intellectual peers. Unfortunately, these needs are often not met for gifted pupils in the educational system.
    https://giftedissues.davidsongifted...icle_about_poor_school_f.html#Post229604

Family/Friends
    For gifted pupils lacking appropriate academic challenge and intellectual peers at school, family and friends may have more emphasis. Does your child have siblings, cousins, neighborhood friends, acquaintances from other interests and pursuits such as sports teams, art, dance, science, or math activities? Conversation is important, and the work of Hart & Risley documents the difference in vocabulary among very young children who have the benefit of regular conversation as compared with those lacking regular conversation.

Reading
    If you have not been keeping a reading log, you may want to start one now. Some things to record may include: begin date for reading this book, end date for reading this book, title, author, fiction/non-fiction, genre, number of pages, reading level (if known), any of the child's observations, child-created alternative endings, prequels, sequels etc. Your child is at an age where they may maintain their reading log themselves.

Grades
    In the USA, since the introduction of "Common Core" there have changes to grading which appear designed to provide the same grading outcomes for all pupils. https://giftedissues.davidsongifted...245083/Grading_practices.html#Post245083
    Are grading rubrics used? Is it communicated to a child in advance, what the grading criteria will be?

Math
    Work in mathematics may provide less opportunity for interpretation of grading elements (such as artwork background: creative design, or solid color required), and less dependence on a broad vocabulary in a particular language. Does your child enjoy math?

Advocacy
    It would be helpful if you knew proactively what tests would be administered, what language they would be in, how the test results would be used, and so on. https://giftedissues.davidsongifted...y_Advocacy_as_a_Non_Newt.html#Post183916

Mindset
    If your child does not know something YET, or cannot demonstrate knowledge to the teacher's or evaluator's satisfaction YET, be sure to think in terms of "...YET" so that one keeps a flexible mindset and does not develop a fixed mindset which may discourage and limit them. Celebrate effort and progress.

Value and Self-Image
    Each person is unique and all persons have value, independent of their accomplishments, and deserve to be appreciated. Regardless of what one's grades are, regardless of IQ, it is important to learn and understand the structure of the system, culture, and society, in order to develop "emotional intelligence" and maximize opportunity.

2 members like this: Alex011, Eagle Mum

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 06/26/24 06:35 PM
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM