I would say not necessarily. You may want to give them time to actually observe your child. K is really tricky, partly because most/many parents think their children are far more above average than is actually the case. This is particularly so in schools with a highly educated demographic. The other issue is that math is really a second class citizen until at least 2nd or 3rd grade. The school is focused on developing readers and writers in K and first and really don't care that much about math. I don't know how advance your DD is in math, but the school may not care even if she is doing algebra. Again, I am sure that many parents will disagree, but personally I did not feel comfortable accelerating my DS in math until his writing skills were more than sufficient to avoid the necessity of special treatment. Of course, at our school it would have been logistically tricky and labor intensive to accelerate a child in math if he lacked the requisite reading and writing skills because reading and writing constitute a huge part of math.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 05/16/14 01:33 PM.