Originally Posted by mlam
There's a public montessori pre-k program that accepts kids who turn 3 by September. I'm wondering if we should get him evaluated/tested so we can make a case for getting him into the Pre-K program in spite of his age.

Have you checked what their criteria is for entry? In my experience, most preschools/pre-k programs are most concerned about emotional readiness, social skills, soft skills (e.g. listens, follows directions)and self-help skills (e.g. potty trained)with advanced cognitive ability being the least of their concerns for entrance. As you evaluate your child's current ability levels in each of the above criteria, consider whether the demands of the program would outweigh the benefits. I personally think that many programs demand complete toileting independence at an age that is not developmentally appropriate.

For my DS3, I realized how challenging the emotional and social demands are for some gifted children even while very young. They are so asynchronous and may be beginning to realize how different they are from other children. Meanwhile, they may end up in a social netherworld between age groups unless they have the verbally expressive skills, emotional/social skills and motor skills to fit in with an older group. Before committing to any program, spend time observing how well the teachers provide social/emotional skill building and how well they scaffold children during conflict resolution. When evaluating programs, consider which ones offer the most opportunity for development in all areas especially ones you already think may need more support.

Carefully compare the schedules of all the schools. I've found myself enthralled with lovely program description only to see a schedule of "circle time, x planned activity, snack, circle time, x planned activity or free play, circle time". If you think your child will flourish in a very structured environment with lots of transitions, this may be for you. For my DS, the complete opposite holds true, although a very fair argument could be the nature of pre-k is to prepare your child for the structure of k. At your child's age, having predominantly the freedom to choose activities may provide the best opportunity for discovery and growth.

Finally, there could be a more advantageous middle ground for the music interests. Some performing halls offer programs where children can freely experience all types of instruments, and I've heard of teachers who offer an investigation of sound, rhythm and ear training using both traditional and non-traditional objects from around the house for children without the necessity of committing to an individual instrument or the rigor of lessons. Perhaps this might be a first step for your child.

Last edited by EmeraldCity; 02/16/14 01:17 PM.