Originally Posted by DeeDee
Originally Posted by blackcat
He is pulled out for speech a few times per month for 20 min. and also sees the school psych a few times a month. And the special ed teacher was pulling him (not sure how often--once per week?) but all he did was social stories on the ipad with him. No social skills group or anything of the like. Does that sound completely inappropriate considering he has Aspergers? His behavior is so difficult he needs an aide for part of the school day, but that is just to control him.

The diagnosis doesn't drive the services-- the child's needs are supposed to drive the services. You can't say there's a standard "Asperger's package" of services-- the IEP is individual and has to be based on data about the individual child's capabilities and deficits.

That mom can request a Functional Behavior Analysis from the district-- it does sound like the child needs more direct instruction than he's getting. One can also write a behavior plan (addendum to the IEP) that specifies how the entire staff is to respond to behavior issues: that's a really important piece for a child who doesn't obey behavior norms.

The school has an obligation to provide an appropriate education, but unfortunately it is often on the parents to drive the process of helping school see what is needed.

Ok, thanks. The school is inept and doesn't know the basics of how to write an IEP. I would be surprised if anyone there knows what a "functional behavior analysis" is. We just transferred schools for DS and I was at an IEP meeting for him this morning. The new school had to re-write half of his IEP 2 months after it was written the first time. I told her to try the Special Ed Director and try to get him to help but he has not replied to her. The reason he is replying to me is because he knows I am on to them and that they are not following basic laws. I bring it up (in a pleasant way) every chance I get. She is an immigrant and isn't strong in English so that makes it even more difficult. Once things get settled for DS I should sit down with her and help her craft an email to the spec. ed director, and put in the requests you mentioned. At this point things are so bad she's talking about just getting through the rest of the year and homeschooling next year.