Well, yes, one on one instructional design will be better suited to a child's needs than one on twenty five.

I suspect that the 1st grade teacher spent 8-10 weeks teaching her first grade class to persist on the work they're doing now. A lot of handwriting learning is repetitive and requires stamina and persistence, and it takes time getting used to the demands.

My son skipped 1st grade. One of the big gaps was that handwriting. When he entered 2nd, he was not automatic on the formation of each letter, which greatly increased the burden of meeting the significantly higher 2nd grade writing demands.

I tend to get a lot of mileage out of starting my conversations with teachers acknowledging how hard it must be to serve the wide span of needs in the teacher's classroom. Stating up front that I recognize how hard it is to serve 25 kids all on different levels buys me a lot of discussion and problem solving time with the teacher. Empathy goes a long ways. Talented kindergarten teachers are very sensitive and talented at making sure kids learn to like school and see it as a place to learn. Have a conversation.

Last edited by geofizz; 01/02/14 01:10 PM.