Originally Posted by Loy58
Hi! I am contemplating EXPLORE for DD8, to see where she is at and to figure out whether she is in need of more challenge. Honestly, the only reason that I am on the fence about her taking it is maternal guilt, because she has just been through a battery of tests at school for their G&T. So many tests! Is the EXPLORE a good test for a 3rd grader or should I wait a year or two(especially one who is young for the grade/summer b-day)? Please share your experiences. TIA!

DS11 took Explore in 4th (he was 9). We decided to do it because we wanted to get information about what he actually knew at that point, and he really enjoys standardized tests so there was no downside.

We didn't get levels; he maxed out the test. Had we done it a year earlier, perhaps it would have shown us more-- I don't know.

The scores were later a bit useful in negotiating a subject acceleration, and in convincing the school that DS really is extreme in his educational needs, but anyone who knows him already knew that. Mostly what we got out of it was "whoa" factor for ourselves.

DeeDee