My DS took it as a very young 3rd grader, since he had skipped a grade. It was his first timed test, and his first hard test. He didn't finish any of the categories. But the information from the talent search was an eye-opener. If your child has never taken an above-level test, you really have very little idea how much they know. And the talent search info is great, because you get to see how your child does compared with 8th graders and also compared with other talent search kids in your child's grade. NUMATS provided info based on the results too, e.g., what sorts of classes your child will be ready for in the next few years. It is a relatively inexpensive way to get pretty good info on your kid.

It doesn't make any difference if your kiddo is stronger in one area or another if your goal is just gaining information. The other good thing about the talent search (as least NUMATS) is that if your child takes the test in subsequent years, you will be able to compare those results over time.

If your child has test anxiety, then I would think twice about this. But if she doesn't mind taking tests, I don't think it can hurt.

ETA -- if she is testing 99% for grade level in math and reading, I think she is exactly the type of student the EXPLORE has in mind.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 12/08/13 11:36 AM.