Originally Posted by 22B
What's wrong with a university seeing that your 3rd grader performed at, say, a 7th grade level? Surely they won't think they're still at that level by the time they're applying for college. I don't understand how it could possibly hurt.
Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
22B, colleges very rarely consider anything that happens before high school. Maybe they might be interested if you won Mathcounts at the national level, or placed nationally in a major HS academic competition while you were still in middle school.

My eldest knows kids who scored 2100+ on the SAT in 7th grade, but they didn't report those scores to colleges. Above level tests are great to figure out more about your kid's potential and abilities, but they aren't something to submit to colleges. If your child scores well on above grade level tests in 3rd, they'll score well on standardized tests in HS.
That makes sense. If someone displays potential in elementary school then colleges would like to see them show they reached that potential in high school.

But if someone get Math SAT 800 when 10 years old, then that's much more significant than Math SAT 800 when 17 years old. The age at which the ceiling is reached is the relevant data point. I suppose someone with the early score should show they reached that potential in some other way, e.g. competitions, but still, reaching a high score young seems to be the only way to get around the low ceilings on those particular tests. (I can see that colleges won't care about EXPLORE scores, though.)