GHS, Mercy Watson was a bit hit. In her own words, "It was fantastic."

BTW, if your DD can comfortably read Fancy Nancy books but not willing to read Mercy Watson with help, that might be more about interest than ability. Is she a perfectionist who prefer to practice at her comfort level?

ElizabethN, you're spot on. Mr. Putter and Tabby is one of a handful of series DD is willing to reread. In fact, we checked out Mr. Putter & Tabby Makes a Wish for the 3rd time last week. It's DD's second favorite after Henry and Mudge. Other Rylant series didn't fare too well.

aquinas, your DS is so sweet. My DD, I'm afraid, is a bit more cynical and she more or less rolled her eyes when we read the original Amelia Bedelia. I still borrowed Merry Christmas Amelia Bedelia a few days ago just in case that she is in holiday spirit enough to enjoy it.

doubtfulguest, one of the first books DD read on her own was Mouse Soup so I was hoping she'd eventually pick up Frog and Toad and we have the box set but so far, she hasn't even gotten the books out of the box.

I am going to try to get over my reservations about her recent book choices. As long as she is not reading something that is actively harmful (the Disney fairy books are pushing this criteria), I am going to let her choose on her own at the library. Instead of arguing with her there, I'm going to start replacing her toddler-era books with "real" books slowly but surely.

What is frustrating about the stage she is at now is that she reads 2 to 5 of these shorter books per day every day so that is a lot of books she goes through and I can't locate new books fast enough. So while I have no intention of pushing her into harder, longer, more complex books, she will literally run out of books she likes (she's picky) at this reading level sooner than later. I'm okay with letting her read picture books only but she wants to have a "novel" in her hand. Sigh. Have I ever mentioned that one of her favorite stories of all time is Goldilocks and the Three Bears?

OP, sorry for the extensive thread hijack. I hope you find many of the recommendations made by others helpful.