Here's how I see this and would tackle this so, implicitly, YMMV.

I would see going 'backwards' as literally the last ditch and only do it if proven utterly unavoidable. Confidence around symbols and numbers is key here - a surprising number of grown adults have managed to convince themselves that they suck at maths when all you really need is the ability to think in a logical manner - something which I believe almost everyone can do.

On the other hand, Maths learning is based on what I would call a progression in that learning what comes later depends on acquiring a solid understanding of what is being learned now and what has been learned. Losing the 'thread' will be fatal and hurrying a child along without a solid 'underfooting' has the potential for disaster.

What to do?

Firstly, I would want an assessment of where my child is in terms of what is expected. I wouldn't take washy washy statements from the teacher at face value - I would want hard concrete facts showing where the gaps are. Also, i would find out what skills need to be acquired by the end of the current year and compare that with my child's data. Then, I would work towards addressing things.

Importantly, constantly bear this thought in mind to get perspective; from the remedial pace that I see today's Maths education crawling along at, ALL IS FAR FROM LOST. Your child can catch up! You have only got 12 weeks or so to catch up on assuming that nothing has been learned - unlikely.

Next, get some materials -I used Singapore Maths because they are published in English so no danger of a bad translation adding to confusion and the Singapore system works. They also have plenty of tests so you can monitor your child's progress and whether or not a concept is properly internalized easily. I would also go with Val here's advice on getting hold of the common core standards because if you can see your child mastering those then you can stop worrying no matter what a teacher is telling you.

It might not be trendy anymore but because my whole class and I easily learned our times tables at 7 ( standard in the UK in those days ) and I had DD knowing them them cold by 6 because they are not an onerous task to memorize once memorized, mental arithmetic becomes trivial which in turn builds confidence.

With my DD a game called 24 helped her fluency and in turn her confidence. Yoo call out 3 numbers and the other person needs to make 24 out of them:-

3,9,12 -> 3+9+12 = 24
3,3,7 -> 3*7+3 = 24
52,46,4 -> (52 - 46) * 4 = 24

You get the idea...

Take turns with calling the numbers out and intentionally flub some ( give up on some that the child throws at you) to build the child's confidence to build 'sneaky' combinations etc.

Hope some of the above helps.

Don't freak out over this because your child cannot have that much to catch up to ;-)

Last edited by madeinuk; 11/13/13 06:08 AM.

Become what you are