Dear Debbie (and all),

I find it's hard to know what to do for young, very bright kids. They have remarkable ability and enthusiasm, and finding a teacher who will keep putting new work in front of them is key. But also one who understands that they're little kids with little-kid meltdowns and need for nurturing, too. I think even older kids like to have moments of review/regression (reading lower level books, checking out lower level math problems their little brothers are working on, etc.) It's ok.

Trinity has used the word "readiness" in lieu of grade levels, which I love. Still, they're so little and need a little different technique than others who are "ready" at older ages. I do admire those who have the stamina for homeschooling and know I'd drive myself (and my kids) crazy if I tried it. I watch some moms who are calm and patient--I think I'm the high intensity variety. It's so scary to me to step back and let them learn with their classes and get bored (which I seem to have to do more as they get into middle school).

My youngest son (5) is in day two of a full-time gifted program in the public school, grades K-2. There are 7 kids and they're being assessed to be able to work at their own levels in reading, math, and spelling. Science and social studies will be together and art, music, and Spanish are with a bigger group including grades 3-5 (I think it's a total of 15 kids. I took him out of regular first grade where he was thriving to do this, and hopefully it will better meet his needs in the long run. I feel very lucky to have this program available to us.