Thanks to all of you! I appreciate the support and encouragement.

Last night my husband shook his head and said,"I guess this is why so many around here are homeschooling." Perhaps he is right. We live in a rural area. The school is small - only one class per grade, except the current 3rd grade has two. So, there will only be ONE 2nd grade teacher to go to. We worked very hard and had to take son out of state to Iowa for private testing to get him into FIRST grade, they are really digging in their heels now, I think. The principal really put the brakes on when I suggested just a trial of son in 2nd grade math class, or to at least pre-test him on end of the year stuff to get an idea of what he does/does not already know.

It shocks me as a parent to have a child who is not even 6 yet making comments that he no longer needs to go to school as he already knows everything they teach there. I think he uses it primariy as a social outlet and puts up with the academics! Just as I start to think that he can't be all THAT smart........you know what I mean. Sometimes I think that maybe the testing was all wrong, he got lucky or something! Then he says things like this!

I'll take all you've offered to heart and come up with a plan. Homeschooling isn't an option. I am the primary bread winner and would also be the best one to do the homeschooling. There are no private schools within a reasonable driving distance for us, even if we could afford the tuition. But perhaps a move is feasible, I don't know. I just know that the school staff keep saying how they've never seen a child like DS before. So it's up to me to keep them on the right track.

Meanwhile, DS is getting LOTS of enrichment and appropriate level stuff at home. And we will be commuting an hour each way every saturday morning for 8 weeks so he can attend a class at the CTD near Chicago. Well worth the expense, time and effort to see the look on his face! He is counting the days till it starts! He picked the course called "Math Challenges" because "I love hard math!" Gotta love him! Thanks again and I'll let you know how things evolve.