I enjoyed the article and I really like Tim Elmore. He substitute pastors at my church from time to time and he is always a pleasure to listen to. He usually has relevant good solid advice.

I agree with Edwin and I think (hope) that there are many of us parents who will read the article and understand that we are not part of the problem. That being said, it does not mean that the problem does not exist.

While definitely not a helicopter parent, I am overprotective in regard to safety. I also won't let my almost 9 year old play outside alone, while many other families in the area do. I will also not let her travel alone. I do let her go with trusted friends and relatives without me, but they have to be people who I know VERY well and trust completely and feel confident with their judgement.

I do let her take risks, explore, do things that my mother used to forbid me to do (heck, sometimes wishing I was still young enough, flexible enough to do them with her).

I have seen a lot of parents who don't though and who try to control every little environmental and social factor pertaining to their children.

I completely disagree with the self esteem generation. I believe that you can and should help your child develop a healthy but realistic self esteem. By realistic I mean, not everyone is winners, teach them how to lose with grace and dignity. If an adult in authority reprimands your child, teach your child to respect and listen to the adult. Don't excuse the behavior and discuss in front of your child 100 reasons why the adult was wrong and the feedback is not applicable to your child. Teach your children compassion, accountability, responsibility and respectfulness. These things should help your child develop a pretty wonderful self esteem on their own.

When my daughter was in 2nd grade I was the room parent. I had to plan a game for a party. In this day and age, I realize everyone has to be a winner. So I took a pumpkin bucket and put individually wrapped candies in it. I had the kids play hot potato with the bucket, as they stood in a circle. When the music stopped, the kid holding the bucket could take a piece of candy out of the bucket, but they had to leave the circle and the game.

In the end, the final child who was not eliminated got to keep the bucket and all candy that was left inside the bucket.

When the other kids realized this they started protesting and yelling at me: That is not fair! Hey, we only got one, this is so unfair!!

They criticized and protested, rather then congratulate the student that actually won the game.

I looked at the kids and said, wrong! This game was totally and completely fair. Everyone had an equal chance to win (it wasn't based on intelligence or skill, simply on dumb luck) and everyone received a prize (at least one piece of candy) for playing. I told them how disappointed I was that they were so busy complaining that they failed to congratulate the boy who won the game and acknowledge his success.

The teacher came up to me afterwards and thanked me for saying that.

IMHO, that is a small example of how children are being raised to think only of themselves, with no regard or respect to the others around them.