Originally Posted by daytripper75
What is the culture like at your children's schools? Do they talk about tragic news without prompting from the students? Do they work to not talk about it in groups?

Well, up until yesterday afternoon, I would have told you that our small private school keeps "current events" of that ilk up to the parent to speak about to their children. Sandy Hook being an example. Our son (6-Kindergarten) has never been allowed to watch anything about that tragedy.

However...yesterday my son told me out-of-the-blue, "Mom! Did you know there was a bombing in Boston?" um. yeah. who told you?

"Mr._____(the principal)".

I was livid, to say the least. There is currently only a Kindergarten and first grade at this school, so this wasn't mentioned in a school announcement over the loudspeaker. No...DS heard it from him personally when he asked about the lowered flag.

We don't let our son watch the evening news-on any day. He's much too sensitive and the news is filled with murders, rapes, fires, car accidents, etc. on a typical day, much less a national tragedy like Sandy Hook or the Boston Marathon Bombing.

I told my DS not to worry about it; that it was nothing that would affect him and he's safe. I emphasized that he was safe, btw. He was visibly relieved.

Children should be on a "need to know" basis regarding graphic news, imo. What does it serve to let a young grade school student be exposed to horrors like this?

My husband has been trying to reach the principal to speak about this all day. He's yet to return his call.