Originally Posted by master of none
If you aren't sure, go into school and look at the writing on the wall. (Or ask an expert, which I am not)

I'll second that as the best way to sum up what an individual school's expectation is going to be. The schools my kids have attended and the schools my friends' children have attended have all had different approaches to early writing, and writing samples can look very different from school to school based on what each school emphasizes. My kids' school, for example, cared about the thought process behind the product, guided the kids from explaining a picture into sentences into paragraphs, so that by the end of K the students would be given a picture and expected to write 2-3 sentences about it, sorta paragraph form, definitely tied-together meaningful story form. OTOH, the school believed in using inventive spelling - let the child spell the word however he/she wanted to, so that the act of figuring out how to spell didn't take away from the process of writing for meaning. Likewise teachers didn't worry about neatness or letter reversals etc. OTOH, some of my friends' children were in schools where the early emphasis was on spelling and simple sentences and grammar/punctuation etc - so you would have seen very different writing samples on the wall at each school.

Best wishes,

polarbear