Wasn't sure how to categorize this. It's kind of a 2e issue, and kind of an advocacy one, and KIND OF a high-school + asynchrony one.

Here's the scenario. (I'm going to request that people not QUOTE directly from this post, because some of it is quite identifying, and I'll edit those elements later, though they are relevant information in terms of advice.)

DD13 has applied to a regional science internship program for the summer. She is a VERY strong applicant (estimating among the top 5% among applicants), and her essays/transcripts/etc. all favor her. Odds probably about 70-80%. But these are SUPER-competitive. There are 5-10X as many applicants as positions.

The problem is that she was encouraged to add "personal touches" to her essay-- so she did, in the process noting her ability to creatively work around natural barriers/limitations by thinking outside the box. She mentioned that her drive for community service led her to start her own business (in order to profit-share with a local NPO) when she was just ten-- because her allergies and age made it nearly impossible to find other volunteer opportunities that were safe and open to her.

Fine, right?

Well, here's where it gets weird. She has NOT asked for any accommodations from the program, has not officially even TOLD them that she has a disability. She's just been selective about her 'interest' in various positions.

Someone from the program CALLED HER TO ASK ABOUT THAT ESSAY.

DD13, being somewhat wet behind the ears.... ANSWERED the questions asking for more specifics.

I'm well aware that the correct thing would have been to pleasantly stonewall with "It seems more appropriate to discuss this AFTER I'm selected for a position."

Okay. What do I do, here? The person she spoke with was fairly open about the fact that she was "making notes" for DD's application file. What those notes are labeled, and who SEES them... that I do not know. DD didn't understand that it might be relevant to ASK, either... (in which instance, I think that she is probably not at all "immature" relative to other high school or for that matter, college, students)

DD is 13. She is not yet independently managing her disability, but I don't want to undermine her, either. She felt GOOD about this phone conversation... and feeling confident about those decisions is a HUGE part of our transition plan for her to manage her disability on her own.

on the other hand, it's totally illegal that they asked in the first place, since SHE was not asking for accommodations of any kind, and it PROBABLY torpedoes any shot she has of being interviewed, if the mentors can "see" that she is a "problem" applicant.

frown

I could call and let them know that this was not an okay thing to be doing from an ADA standpoint-- and I probably should in point of fact do just that. The question is one of timing.

If I call, do I label DD a "helicoptered" kid? Will THAT count against her??

If I call, do I let DD know why??

ACK!! She really wants one of these internships, and because of age/acceleration, she will only be eligible this one summer. She will be 14, which had already limited which ones she could apply for.

Oh-- I do have a reason for one of us to contact the program anyway, since we will be out of phone contact for a couple of weeks, and many mentors prefer to phone interview.

This has really been eating at me. Thoughts?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.