Coming to the realization that my son has ADHD has brought me to think about my own maturation. I remember saying things too quickly, interupting, being distracted,annoying, etc but over time played the game and learned a way to adapt. More thought provocation.. and maybe now I have an explanation to my mom's not always completing sentences and jumping from one subject to the next, all interesting but difficult to follow for many. She would be engaged in conversation and unless you knew her you would say.. what did she say? only at times like when she was excited about a subject. I remember noticing this about her and deciding I did not want to do that as I wanted to fit in.. so I worked at it when the words came out too fast and furious. There is definitely a fine line between creative and maybe not fitting in.

I can also remember running the different scenarios in my head and analyzing what I did wrong in scenario A... changing it up, but still not quite right to scenario B..etc ... eventually it became natural. I am not gifted, but fully capable and rather analytical. I remember childhood IQ testing around 130 .. so that may be the difference.. I am able to fit in easier than those who are in the 150 or 160 range. My brother who is in the 150-160 range never fit in socially growing up and he does not have ADHD.. others would say he was odd. He fits in fine as a research engineer and is great with his kids but still awkward in new social situations. It is quite intriguing to think about the similarities and differences between gifted and ADHD thought... combine the 2 and there you have it... challenge in the making

My son is so challenging as 1. he is highly gifted 2. he is a boy (girls and boys process differently any way you look at it) 3. personality plays a role in it. Have you ever read the book "Personality Plus" by Florence Lithour (?sp)? She also wrote a book "Personality Plus for Parents" or similar title. Helps with understanding your kids, others. Four basic personalities and we are a combination of them. There are other books describing the personality combinations, maybe different names. My son is a Choleric- Sanguine. It seems with me the choleric comes out. He will argue any sentence, any subject, anything... and he will always be right.. Yes, add the gifted factor... argues his way up the knowledge ladder.. .plus he down right knows more than me already...or make that he did 5 yrs ago.
I think those with ADHD can focus, but I think they have to think about it .. when interested in something and intently into it, I think the processes slow down allowing that focus. I love all the different viewpoints and find myself gravitating to this forum at the end of the day.. way to unwind.. always had difficulty shutting down the brain at night... ADHD? or biological clock set on late night... or doesn't everyone need only 4-5hrs of sleep? My brother needs 8 or 9... All of this is thought provokding... umm