I don't disagree with your main point, HK. I agree that children need to be taught to pay attention, and be respectful. These are skills that will be vital later in life.

I just think that there need to be age-appropriate allowances made. The OP did not indicate which of her DDs was involved, but I assume it's the 8yo in 3rd grade (per her sig). Eight is not an age strongly correlated with impulse control. My observation is that, as a group, they're really easily distracted. An 8yo being distracted while watching a film on haiku... I may not agree with the behavior, but I can understand it. It's a very simple form, which is why it's all over pop culture, because anyone can do it. Do she really need an entire film to get it?

I wouldn't agree that "being distracted" needs to be interpreted as "being disrespectful" in all situations, either.

Also, the OP did not indicate that this is an ongoing problem. Based on your response, it sounds like it's an ongoing issue with your DD's. I suppose my lackadaisical response is largely informed by the fact that it's not an issue with my DD... she's always been the one kid preternaturally focused and on task. That's one of the ways in which she stands out from the crowd. Incidentally, she'd agree more with you than with me, because all her age-peers being distracted drives her to distraction.