Originally Posted by CCN
Islandofapples - when your DD signs, is she engaging with you or is she just labeling objects? Is she engaged and connected or is she encyclopedic and methodical?

They're so interestingly unique that it can be hard to identify warning signs. There's no harm in pursuing professional help though - that way your bases are covered.

Not sure what you mean...
She wants everything done her way and insists that I get what she's signing (and sometimes saying with one syllable) and won't back down about it until I acknowledge what she's trying to tell me. Usually it is about what she's observing. She wants to tell me when she sees numbers, letters, writing, shapes, animals, etc. She also points and I'll tell her what stuff is or explain more about it, but mostly she tells me what she thinks she's seeing and I confirm. This started way back at 11.5 months when she started "Reading" her picture books and signing what she saw and would "ask" for confirmation about real life objects. Like a semi-truck pulled up next to us in our car and she asked me if it was an airplane. So I had to go figure out the sign for truck after that.

She just carried a stool over to her play table and is signing "please" and pointing to me and then the chair to get me to move to her table lol.