Giftedness wasn't on my radar when I became a parent. At all. My therapist background tended to cause me to worry about delays /pathology - and my yardstick for development in the kids I see is way skewed.

We figured ds reading at 2 was quirky and "neat" but really didn't jump to any conclusions. He also started doing math extremely early, so we thought, "Hey, he's pretty smart." He loved to do workbooks and flashcards and look at anything maps or science - and frankly, that completely freaked me out. I wasn't sure if he had aspergers or a lack of imagination or what.

It wasn't until we looked into K that we started realizing that he was really ahead...that and our pediatrician urged us to look into giftedness. I also have s friend (teacher) who kept insisting ds was gifted - but I really thought she was just being encouraging. DS is nearly 6, so we haven't formally had him tested. It is possible that we are wrong.

With my dd2... no clue what's in store for us. She's a super early talker but not reading yet the way ds was. I talk about her here not because I think she's gifted, but because I value the advice opinions and congeniality here.

...and because FB makes me crazy (as do Mommy Boards).