I love the concept of the bedtime math which was that we read every day so reading is normal and fun. We can teach little kids math the same way. They say you have to memorize your math facts. Hearing/saying them in random order from the word problems every day should make them stick as good as any other way. Another thing we use is the khan math lectures on you tube. Type khan academy basic multiplication or addition 2 or partial quotient division. They're all good and only about 10-12 minutes. I tell my son to watch one math lecture then he can pick a kid show, which on YouTube is and hour long Mickey mouse clubhouse or something. I don't limit his screen time but I do limit his use of my iPhone. He can tell me some of the things from the videos in other contexts, like something came up when were eating cookies the other night about breaking three cookies into quarters how many friends could he share. And what if a friend gave a half of their piece. His out of the blue questions, so I guess some of it's sticking. And he counts 3 TIMES TABLE MULTIPLICATION SONG - FROM "THE NUMBEARS MULTIPLY!" and count by fives by schoolhouse rock, both on YouTube, as regular entertainment.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar