Originally Posted by mom123
Do you think it is a problem that she does not know something like, 12-8 by rote? I don't know... she is ahead of the curve conceptually (which I guess should not surprise me since that is, in fact, what they emphasize at her school). I guess I just worry that as the concepts get harder things will get exponentially harder without a solid grasp on basic arithmetic.
Short answer:

solid grasp on basic arithmetic =/= rote recall of maths facts!

Longer answer:

I'd say it depends how long she takes to work it out. If she is laboriously counting on her fingers and it's taking her half a minute to get to an answer, that's a problem. If she's getting the answer in, say, 5 seconds, then even if there are fingers involved, at her age I'd say that's not a problem, and provided she has good conceptual understanding and enjoys maths I'd be happy to assume that greater speed will come.

There are loads of computer games, and indeed board games, that require arithmetic and where you do better the faster you are. Why not pick a few that are acceptable to you and that you think she'll like, and require her to play computer games for 30 mins every day, if that'd go down better? My DS loves some of the games at http://www.mangahigh.com for example, e.g., Sigma Prime, where you shoot prime numbers at incoming composite numbers to factorise them.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 07/24/12 12:32 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail