Originally Posted by Cricket2
So my favorite way to identify gifted kids would be to offer kids chances to participate in meaningful learning opportunities well above what is expected for their age level and see who thrives.
The only problem I see in implementation (b/c this happens a lot locally to me) is that, if the majority of the kids who show up/enroll are not gifted, the programming morphs to "looking at bugs" like another mom posted about in her thread about summer camps. Rather than weeding out the kids who aren't a match for the program, the program morphs to be a match for who showed up and becomes less and less of a fit for kids who need and want the meaningful, advanced, deep learning opportunities.

But, that is a different thread -- lol!
I agree that this is probably what actually happens in real life, unless that adults involved are 100% committed to making education work for gifted and unusually gifted kids. That's why I like moving the child to the place where other kids match their ready-to-learn level, instead of trying to modify the existing program to keep a kid with agemates. But then we get our dear 2E kids who would need tons of accommodation to keep up with the kids who share their ready-to-learn level. And would the pace match? No wonder it is a mess!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com