Originally Posted by Cricket2
I guess that I'm thinking in relation to what draws us here. What is it about our kids that makes them seem different enough from age peers that we need to discuss here; what is it about them that is "gifted" whereas another child is ND? Do we see them as different due to social differences, academic achievement, IQ, or something else? Would we still call them gifted if one of those things was lacking? i.e. -- is there some specific thing that must be in place in order for an individual to be gifted?
Ah, I'm with you :-) Well, then:

- I, personally, am here because DS's academic achievement makes him difficult to cater for in a school environment and I value the BTDT I read here. He also has the typical intensity and I value the BTDTs for that too, but I think if he had this without the academic achievement, I'd be happy talking about it in any congenial parenting forum.

- However, it doesn't surprise me, far less bother me, if other people find it useful to be here for other reasons! I think if someone finds their child has a lot in common with other children discussed here, so that this feels like the most useful place to discuss their child, why not?

- I do think it would be likely to lead to confusion if someone said that their child was definitely gifted who didn't have either high academic achievement or high IQ test scores, though.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail