How do you decide?

DD is in private school and started it one year early. Last year she did half day Kindergarten which is not academically very advanced IMO. She did well and had lots of friends. Next year she will still attend the same school so she can stay with the same group of kids. Year after that we will need to decide if we want to have her permanently accelerated one year ahead or will she repeat the last year in her current school. Where we are starting school early is rare and most people think it is better for the kids to wait than go ahead.

She is now 6-18mo younger than the other students. She is well liked and social butterfly type. As she goes to school with older kids she plays with them in her afterschool program, she rarely plays with her peers. Although I'm confident she would do well socially with her peers if needed.

At this point I'm not sure how gifted she is. Her reading is not as advanced as some kids here, she reads short books only. We have not done any math with her but she can do basic addition and subtraction in her head. She plays violin and has picked it up faster than the other kids who are 1-2 years older and started the same time. With her handwriting she is average in her current group of kids. I would guess she is not PG maybe more like MG.

She tiny so even if she would go to school with her peers she might be the smallest.

Our dilemma is that we feel that she should continue going to school with the kids who are year older but we are unsure as we do not know how she would do with the kids who are her age (maybe she would do even better and be even happier).

Last edited by oli; 06/09/12 01:45 PM.