Ouch! While I've said that I don't have boys and I'm sure that the puberty issues do impact them differently, my skipped child is going to be a high school sophomore in August so I'd feel comfortable with saying that, four years post skip, it was a good choice.

Unfortunately for this conversation, my family has a lot of females, but I do have older family members who skipped up to two grades combined with early entry (again female, though) and for whom it also worked out well academically and socially.

I'm not trying to convince the OP that skipping is universally the answer or right for all HG kids. I do also have a HG kid who isn't skipped. I'm just trying to provide perspective on two things:

* Genetically small people are going to be small people forever. You can't make educational decisions based on placing smaller people with their size peers or they'd never get past middle school.

and, in regard to my last post

* A skip needs to be well planned meaning it needs to look at all of the factors in the IAS (age, size, maturity, desire for the skip, academics, ability...). I wonder in the case of an elementary that skipped one or two kids every year, whether they had considered all of those pieces, and if that might account for the poor outcomes.

Unfortunately, when kids are skipped willy nilly b/c they are high achieving, the outcomes aren't as likely to be good and it creates those situations that are problematic for all of our kids who really need and want the skip. Parents and educators alike are left with anecdotes of how badly all of the skips they've heard about worked out.