Our MG daughter, now 22 and in grad school, was offered a grade skip from second to fourth grade. We struggled for months with the decision, but in the end, decided against the skip. She is a late June birthday...her age played a role. We've discussed it through the years, and she still maintains that she's happy we decided against the skip. We supplemented at home and through extra-curricular activities.

Our HG son, now 9, was offered a grade skip from second to fourth (funny...we didn't request either skip.) Again, we struggled, but ultimately decided to forgo the skip, in spite of the fact he is a late November birthday, so not as young. He currently attends Montessori and they have been able to let him work at his own pace (largely) within his age peer group. In his case, I'm not sure where he would find true academic peers...certainly not one grade ahead. And, looking ahead, we really don't want him to head off to college early. He starts a traditional style private prep school in the fall. If they can't accomodate his academic needs, we may, once again, consider the skip.

For the record, while I didn't do a grade skip myself, I'm a late October birthday and started school at age 4...college at age 17. I knew no other way, so I was always comfortable with it. Tough decision...and one for each family to make for themselves, for sure. Good luck!