Originally Posted by master of none
Wow, I didn't realize there's a max for accommodations during testing!

I looked back at a letter our district sent out and this a federal thing.

"Students with severe learning disabilities are eligible to take an alternate test instead of the traditional state-mandated standardized tests. The U.S. Department of Education allows only 1 percent of “alternate” tests taken by students with severe learning disabilities to count toward that district’s annual report card."

"Now, when the number of students with learning disabilities who take an alternative test exceeds the federal limit – last school year, the district had 16 students in this category and they are allowed 10 – the remaining six scores count as failing on the district’s report card" confused

The worse part of this for my district is we had our highest scoring year ever! We got downgraded last year from “Excellent with Distinction” to “Excellent.”

I understand not wanting schools to take advantage of accommodations, but this has gone to a silly level. I live in a district that takes in kids from other districts with disabilities and we get punished for helping the special needs kids. mad We have at least 50 kids from other districts with only around 1600 for k-12 total number of students. Our district has a good reputation for having strong serves for the disabled. I know a lot of families move her just for that reason. The total number of disable kids in our district is pretty high.

Maybe this is why so many districts seem to be trying to avoid IEP & 504 plans. I know my oldest was allowed an audio version of the test years ago. I'm not sure what defines "alternative test" by federal law. I don't believe extended time is part of this number.